Birth & Death Certificates
Beginning August 28, 2023 you may request and pay for Certified Copies of Birth Certificates by clicking here.
Obtaining a Birth Certificate
Only a qualified applicant may obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate. Qualified applicants include:
- Full name on birth / death record
- Date and place of birth / death
- Fathers full name
- Mothers maiden name
- Name, address, and phone number of requestor
- Relationship to person on birth / death record
- Purpose for requesting a copy
- Copy of your driver's license must be attached to your application
- Birth Certificate Application (by mail)
- Birth Certificate Application (in person)
- Death Certificate Application
Any Texas birth certificate may be purchased in Taylor County, this office uses a remote access system to the State's records dating, at this time, from 1926 to the present. Death records in Taylor County date back from early 1900s to the present. They are available only if the death occurred outside the city limits of Abilene, Texas.
Cash, money order, credit, or debit card. (credit and debit cards are accepted in office or ordering with our online portal, both with additional convenience fee's)
- $23 per birth certificate copy
- $21 for the first death certificate copy and $4.00 each additional issued at the same time.
- An additional Non-Refundable $5 Convenience + Credit Card Processing Fee will be applied to all online orders
- An additional Non-Refundable $0.35 VitalVerify fee will be applied to all 'delivery' orders.
- No cost for postage and mailing.
Birth Certificate for Passport
If you are getting your birth certificate for passport purposes you will need the "long form" certificate. To obtain the long form, you must contact the registrar in the county in which you were born. The Taylor County Clerk was the birth registrar from the beginning of Taylor County until 1950, in which the City of Abilene then became the registrar. In 1993, the County Clerk became the registrar for births occurring OUTSIDE the City limits of Abilene, Texas, but still within Taylor County. The County Clerk is the registrar for ALL the births from Merkel, Taylor County, Texas - past to present. If you were born in the City of Abilene after 1950 and you need a birth certificate for a passport please contact the Abilene-Taylor County Public Health District at 325-692-5600 or visit their website.
The Taylor County Clerk's office is not responsible if the passport office rejects the birth certificate