Marriage License

 Congratulations on your engagement!  Click HERE to complete the online marriage license application.  You will select either, MARRIAGE APPLICATION or INFORMAL MARRIAGE APPLICATION.  Please read the Marriage License Requirements then select “NEXT”.  You and your Fiancé’ will then fill in your information.  Once you have completed your application, please place your order.  You will then need to come to the County Clerk’s office in the Taylor County Courthouse, 300 Oak Street, Abilene, Texas between 8:00 A.M. and 4:30 P.M. to complete the application process and have your Marriage License issued.  Please make sure you bring the correct identification and payment.  

**Please note that filling out the application IS NOT scheduling the ceremony, it only allows us to issue the marriage license.  You must make arrangements with someone who is authorized to conduct a marriage ceremony.  There are many options in Taylor County, the most common are ministers, Justices of the Peace or someone that has been authorized by a church to administer the ceremony.  Many can be found by searching the internet, Google is always a good place to start.


  • You must be 18 years old
  • Both applicants must be present at the time of issuance
  • You need to bring a current, original state or federal issued identification that shows your date of birth and picture (drivers license, state ID, military ID, etc.) if the ID has expired more than two years, you may bring a certified copy of your birth record in addition to the expired ID. If your name has changed, the ID you present must state your correct legal name. You cannot tell us that your name is something different from the ID that you present to us. The license is only good for 90 days after the date of issuance
  • We will ask you what your social security number and place of birth are, but you do not need to provide proof of these
  • The license is $81, payments accepted include cash, credit, or debit only. There is a charge of an additional 2.65% convenience fee when using a card.
    • The cost of the license can be reduced to $21 saving you $60 on the purchase of your license, as well as waiving the 72 hours. To receive the discount you must attend a pre-marital class that meets state requirements and bring original signed documentation with you showing proof of counseling. For more information on this program, we suggest you first contact the individual who is officiating your ceremony, your church, or a ministerial counseling service; local universities sometimes offer this type of counseling as well. At this time, we are unable to maintain a list of providers who are offering this program. REQUIREMENTS LISTED HERE For Marriage Skills Workshops in your area you may visit the Twogether in Texas   
    • We hope the aforementioned can provide you with the information you need to participate in this worthwhile program.
  • If you are divorced, your divorce must be final for over 30 days before getting a new marriage license (unless you are remarrying the same person you just divorced or your divorce was obtained in another state)
  • Once you obtain your marriage license, there is a 72 hour waiting period before you can get married. If you are active duty military the waiting period is waived
  • Texas does not require a blood test to be conducted on the marriage license applicants
  • The license is good for 90 days after the date of issuance
  • If one of the applicants is not able to be present for the purchase of the marriage license, an affidavit of absent applicant for marriage license must be completed and submitted at the time of the application for the marriage license, along with an original picture I.D. for the absent applicant. There can be only one absent applicant. Unless, both applicants are members of the United States Military, and only if both are stationed overseas in support of a combat or other military operation. An affidavit must be supplied to our office for each absent applicant. The affidavit is only good for 30 calendar days. The groom or bride who comes to the county clerk’s office to get the marriage license must provide the original absent applicant form and an original government issued I.D. for the Absent Applicant for identification purposes. This requirement includes inmates, no photocopies or notarized affidavits. Active duty military may use a notarized copy of their military ID for identification purposes.
  • If one of the applicants is unable to attend the ceremony, the section on “proxies” in the affidavit of absent applicant for marriage license must be completed. The only scenario where a proxy may be used at the ceremony is, if the party can't be at the ceremony because they are in the United States Military and are in another country in support of a combat or other military operation. If the members of the military are stationed state-side but at different bases, only one may be an absent applicant and both must be present for the ceremony. A proxy must be 18 years old or older and supply us with a valid picture ID. Absent Applicant Form
  • A prisoner in a detention facility may be represented for the application by another individual, but he or she must be at the ceremony. Two incarcerated people can't have someone apply for the license on their behalf. This also applies to people in the hospital, nursing homes, studying abroad, etc.
  • The applicant’s signature on the affidavit must be notarized, no exceptions
  • For a certified copy of a marriage license the fee is $12 when requested by mail. The cost is reduced when the request is made in person or when the requestor searches the records for the license. Request Form