Tax Assessor / Collector

The Tax Assessor-Collector's office provides vehicle registration and title transaction services for Taylor County residents as an agent for the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles. Temporary permits, disabled parking permits, and specialty plates are also issued. Additionally, TABC permit and amusement machine permit fees are collected in our office.

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8 a.m.- 4:45 p.m.
We are located at:

400 Oak St in the Taylor County Plaza building.
Phone: 325-674-1224
Fax: 325-674-1394
Accounting: 325-674-1230

You can mail registration renewals to:
Taylor County Dept. of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 3762
Abilene, TX 79604  

Our office accepts cash, checks, debit, and credit cards for payments. Please note that checks are not accepted for applications for title only(without registration) and temporary permits.

There is a convenience fee assessed if you choose to use a debit or credit card for payment. Debit cards charge $2.50, and credit cards charge a percentage, up to $5. Please note that this convenience fee is charged by the third party vendor who processes credit and debit card transactions. The current vendor charges the lowest fees available at this time. Taylor County does not retain any part of the fee. Government agencies cannot discount taxes to absorb the convenience fees. We continue to advocate for the lowest fees possible, however this is the only way we are able to offer the option of debit and credit card payments to the public.

For additional information about the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, please visit

 Central Appraisal District of Taylor County
 1534 S Treadaway Blvd, Abilene, TX 79602

For information about property taxes and appraisals, please visit:

To view the CAD 2015-2019 Truth and Taxation Worksheets, please click here.

For Tax Rate Information, please click here.

For information about driver's licenses and driving records, please contact the Texas Department of Public Safety at 325-695-0988 or

For information about tax exemptions and permits, please contact the Texas State Comptroller at

For information about registering boats or other watercraft, please contact Texas Parks and Wildlife at 325-692-0921 or