Motor Vehicle Titles

Title Transfers

Transfer of ownership must be filed within 30 calendar days to avoid penalties. 

All title transfers require a government issued ID/Passport.

The buyer will need to bring the following information:

*The original title, properly assigned by seller(s) to buyer(s). Signatures of all listed owners required.

*An Application for Texas Certificate of Title (Form 130-U) completed by buyer(s).

*If renewing registration during title transfer a recent safety inspection is required

*Proof of Texas liability insurance. Insurance cannot be in the name of the seller. Insurance in the buyer's name on another vehicle can be shown for up to 30 days from the date of sale. Motorcycles require motorcycle insurance.

* If the vehicle was purchased out of state, a Texas safety inspection must be done before coming to the Motor Vehicle Department. The inspection station must provide the VI-30 Form. Verify that the vehicle identification number on the form matches your vehicle information and bring the form to the tax office. No alterations or errors will be accepted.

* Any supporting documents such as Release of Lien, Power of Attorney, etc.

Fees may vary depending on actual transaction but typically include:

  • Title fee $28
  • Registration fee $74.00 (light trucks and passenger cars less than 6000 lbs)
  • Sales tax calculated at 6.25% on the purchase price or the standard presumptive value, whichever is greater.

Gift Transfers

House Bill 2654 established new criteria for determining when a transaction qualifies as a gift for motor vehicle tax purposes. Effective Sept 1, 2009, the only transactions that qualify to be gifts ($10 sales tax) are those wherein the vehicles are received from a: spouse, parent or stepparent, in-laws, grandparent or grandchild, child or stepchild, sibling, guardian, decedent's estate, or if it is donated to, or given by a nonprofit service organization qualifying under the Internal Revenue Code, Sec. 501(c)(3). If eligible, the donor and recipient must complete a notarized Motor Vehicle Gift Transfer Affidavit describing the transaction and the relationship between the parties and must be filed in person by either the donor or the recipient.

Bonded Title

If you do not have acceptable evidence of ownership for a vehicle you own or have recently purchased, you may have the option of applying for a bonded title. For additional information on Bonded Titles, please contact our Regional Service Center at 325-674-1000 Option 9.